Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tips for Success - Climbing the Ranks for League of Legends

Hey everyone!  What I'd like to speak about are what I've found that works for me and have actually tried that worked out with success.  To give a little background of myself, I'm a pretty newcomer in the League scene.  I've been playing a few months now and I've recently acquired Platinum.  I've been speeding up more lately I believe because of some strategies that I keep in mind now and also that I'm able to play more now rather than 1-2 games every few days.  I like to analyze and critique plays and do a ton of self evaluation as well.  Here is my LoLKing for reference http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/38281967 .

So to start it all off, here comes my list:

1.  Focus - Absolutely paramount.  With the games that I've tried from waking up trying to get a Ranked in before heading out, or the quick game right before heading to bed sleepy.  The results have typically not been so pretty.  I came to realize the reason for this is because I add a burden to the team when I'm not playing at my top level since my reactions would be slower, I'm in a time crunch so I rush things and become impatient, and I tend to make worse decisions because a factor of the previous two.

Let's flip the switch though.  The games that I've done after a work out or shower, I feel more relaxed, I feel quicker to my senses, and my thought processes flow more smoothly.  This has resulted me in averaging more wins than losses, which for Ranked is what it's all about.  For ranking up, it's not about the amazing game you just played where you carried so hard and went 20-2-15...  But it's more about how do you play consistently over the course of a series of matches.  If you win a game going 10-3-7, then the next match go 2-9-3, and have that cycle repeat?  The MMR(MatchMaking Rating) system will believe you are around where you should be and attempt to keep you around there.

2.  Analyze - Everything you did, and could've done.  Just because you won a team fight, think about how it could've gone better.  Were there openings where you could've gotten more damage out?  Peeled more to save the ADC that is now dead?  Think about why you died.  Did you overextend to kill that Sona who was one auto away from death?  Did you push too far without proper vision and enemies are missing?  In almost every situation, there are different strategies and decisions that could've been used.  One important thing is to also think about these situations as soon as you can after it occurs, like as if you had just died and have free time to think about what YOU could've done rather than how your team could've helped your issues.

LoLreplay is another great resource to use.  When there is a game where I end up doing really poorly, I always take a few moments to take a break and/or watch the replay of the game to see where the events occured that snowballed the game to a definite loss.  You can get this program at http://www.leaguereplays.com/download/ .  Very simple to use, just have it open, play your game, and your game will be saved for your review to check it out later.  It uses the spectator mode so you can see what the other team or teammates did as well.

3.  Knowledge - Knowledge is power.  It does matter to an extent how much you know about your own champion, but it will also compete against the knowledge you have against the team composition you're facing and your lane opponents.  Knowing the crucial power spikes, build paths, their opportunities for play gives you such a buffer and at times an advantage when matching up against the enemy.  This does come with experience to face against different playstyles that a certain champion can be played as, but just knowing cooldown timers, item power spikes and such, will help you a great deal in knowing when you can safely go for that CS or look to get some trade damage off in your advantage.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_champions Is a site where you can see a list of the champions and after clicking on a certain champ, see their abilities, timers, costs, cooldown etc.  I feel this knowledge is essential in knowing especially as your lane opponent, but even more so later on in the match if they're on your team or against you.

4.  You can't win them all - Not every game will be won.  This is the mental state that I had to change about myself before I started seeing real results.  You will NOT win every game that you play.  The highest rated Solo Queuer in NA is Wildturtle (http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/521955#profile) and boasts a 65% win/loss ratio.  You can't win them all and it won't happen.  You have to lose to learn what you did that caused that to happen, that way you know what not to do next time around.  To gain rating, it's all about winning more than you lose.  If you average winning 3 out of 5, 2 out of 3, you will gain rating and you will gain ranks.  Of course if you win your next 3 out of 5 JUST after losing 9 in a row, you will probably not gain much of any.  Just keep it up though, learn consistently, find out what works for you and stick with it.

But do you know what you can do every game?  Look to improve yourself.  Every game, every match, every exchange is a learning experience.  Then use that to your advantage later on, knowing you can't trade back when he has those cooldowns up, or you can dive in on him when his summoners are down.  With this in mind you will win more consistently as long as you've kept on learning.



So there it is.  Those are some of my top tips for success.  I hope you can use some of these tools and apply it within your matches in the Rift.  Good luck!

Also if you'd like, tell me what tips have worked out for you!

2 comments: